- Rack (3 pin) Beef Short Ribs
- BBQ Seasoning
- Set your smoker to 130˚ C and rub your beef short ribs in your BBQ seasoning.
- Place the seasoned short ribs in the smoker for 3 hours or until 68˚ C internal.
- Remove your beef ribs from the smoker and wrap tightly with foil. Be careful at this stage not to pierce the foil with the rib bones and place back in the smoker.
- Cook the beef short ribs in the foil tray until they reach an internal temperature of 98-100˚ C, this will take approx. 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Once the beef short ribs have reached temperature remove from the foil and place in into new foil unwrapped for de-steaming, (make sure to retain the jus from the foil and keep warm). After 15 minutes of de-steaming, foil back over the beef short ribs and wrap tightly to keep warm.
- Rest for a minimum of 30 minutes (2hrs is ideal) in a warm place before moving to the next step.
- Unwrap the beef short ribs and slice into individual bones for a large serve or slice off the bone and cube up into bite size pieces.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure your braising stock is warm (step 3), before placing the beef cheeks inside (step 4).
- De-steaming (step 6) is the process of stopping the cooking process through time so we don’t overcook the meat. The core temperature of the liquid left in meat is near boiling point when removed from the smoker. This process allows to the juices to cool enough to stop cooking the meat internally and dropping them to a temperature that is still hot enough to carry into the rest period and stay warm.
- Resting (step 6) can be done in an oven set at 65C or wrapped in towel and placed in a dry esky with the lid on. Either method will allow up to 5hrs rest time and remain at a serving temperature.