- 1 Quality Tomahawk Steak approx. 1.2kg
- BBQ Seasoning
- Set your smoker to 130˚ C and lightly coat your tomahawk in BBQ seasoning making sure to avoid seasoning the bone.
- Place the seasoned Tomahawk the smoker and cook until internal temperature reaches 56-58C (approx. 45 mins to 1hr).
- Remove tomahawk to rest for 10 – 15 minutes, cover very loosely in foil.
- Get your char grill or a cast iron pan ready (super-hot) and sear off until both sides are caramelized (approx. 1 to 1.5 minutes per side)
- Slice the main portion of meat off the bone making sure to remove the intercostal meat down both sides of the bone.
- When slicing the main portion (rib fillet) make sure to cut against the grain, in this case, slice in the opposite direction to the length of the bone.
Tips & Tricks
- We take care to void seasoning the bone (step 1) Any sugars within the seasoning will tend to burn on the bone and make for unpleasant eating. The bone also carries enough flavour on its own.
- Make sure your searing station is easily able to get to searing temperature or ready in advance (step 4).
- Slicing across the grain gives a nicer mouthfeel and better chew as the fibres are smaller.