The Secret to cooking the perfect Sweet Bangalow Pork Belly is to use the twice cooked method. Twice cooking allows you to create a flavour infused & tender Pork Belly & the crunchiest of crackling. Twice Cooked Confit Pork Belly will take more time and preparation to cook but the end result is worth every minute. Enjoy
SERVES- 4 PREP & COOK TIME COMBIND- 10+ Hours
- 1.5kg Sweet Bangalow Pork Belly
- 3 star anise
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped thyme
- 150Ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 500mL duck fat
- Lightly crush the star anise, fennel seeds cloves and peppercorns with a motor and pestle. Add the thyme and oil- mix well.
- Rub the Sweet Bangalow Pork Belly flesh with the spice mixture- do not rub the skin. Refrigerate for minimum of 4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C
- Place the duck fat in a roasting pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until melted. Add the Sweet Bangalow Pork Belly and cook for 4 hours until tender.
- Remove the Sweet Bangalow Pork Belly and place of a baking tray then top with a heavy based backing tray or weight and place in the fridge for 6 hours to set flat.
- To finish the pork cut into portions and heat the vegetable oil in a pan medium heat and cook the portions skin side down for 8-10 minutes until crispy crackle is formed. Cook the other 3 sides of the portions.
- Pork belly will want to curl up when you finish the confit stage this is why you put a heavy pan to top when setting aside to set flat.
- Be careful your oil is not to hot when you cook the pork belly portions in the pan at the end otherwise hot oil will spit everywhere.
Browse Christmas Pork Products
The LaMackle – 1.7kg$32.99 per kg
Boneless Pork Belly$26.99 per kg
Boned & Rolled Pork Loin Roast (Plain)$27.99 per kg
Boned & Rolled Pork Loin Roast (Granny Smith & Sultana – GF)$27.99 per kg
Boned & Rolled Pork Loin Roast (Spinach & Toasted Pinenut)$27.99 per kg
Boned & Rolled Pork Loin Roast (Citrus, Fig, Apricot & Macadamia – GF)$27.99 per kg
Pork Scotch Roast Whole 2.7kg – 3.2kg (Boneless)$19.99 per kg
Pork Scotch Roast Half 1.7kg (Boneless)$19.99 per kg